What Happens When You Take Niacin?
20 – 30 mins – Your blood vessels dilates, a warming sensation spreads across your body, you start to itch and your face flushes. This is known as the ‘niacin flush’, a sign it is working its magic.
30 mins – 1hr – You have this warm glowing sensation that can last for several hours. A bit like the ‘runner’s high’ you get after a gym workout.
Your mood elevates, energy goes up and your brain functions better with more clarity.
1hr+ There are many long term benefits associated with Niacin:
- Detox: Combination of niacin, exercise and sauna is a powerful way to detox your body from heavy metals and toxins stored in fat cells.
- Energy: Niacin is essential in the production of energy in the body. Deficiency causes tiredness and fatigue. 50 – 500 mg daily will give a natural energy boost.
- Arthritis: Studies confirm niacin is better than NSAIDS for arthritis. Moderate arthritis 1,000 to 1,500 mg a day. In more severe cases, as much as 3,000 mg to 4,000 mg have been recommended.
- Cholesterol, Triglycerides + Reversing Heart Disease: Recommended 1,000 to 3,000 mg of niacin a day.Niacin lowers cholesterol more effectively than statins in various studies and also lowers triglycerides. It reduces the blood fats called “very low density lipoproteins,” which have been linked to heart disease and cancer. It improves the blood sugar problems that can lead to damage of the arterial walls. It dilates blood vessels, which improves the circulation to areas starved of oxygen and nutrients.
- Memory loss: 1,000 mg of niacin taken 3 times a day can improve memory, and correct some senility problems.
- Prevents Hair Loss + Balding: Increases blood flow to scalp, important in hair growth and reduces production of DHT linked to balding.
- Insomnia: Niacinamide activates benzodiazepine receptors in the brain, which affects sleep. Dosages of 50 mg to 500mg of niacin that is converted into niacinamide in the body taken at bedtime have helped many people sleep better.
- Severe Depression & Schizophrenia: The usual dose range is 3,000 to 9,000 milligrams daily divided into three doses, but occasionally some patients may need more.
- Cancer: Has the potential to influence DNA repair, genomic stability, and the immune system, eventually having an impact on cancer risk, as well as the side effects of chemotherapy in the cancer patient.
- Acne: Many reports show Niacin can get rid of acne at daily doses of 400/500 mg.
- Alzheimers: Studies have shown that vitamin B3 niacin can help protect against Alzheimer’s disease and other age related brain disorders that result in cognitive decline.
When you first take Niacin, you will most likely get an alarming flushing effect. Do not worry about this, it is just a sign of Niacin working its magic. The flush is due to niacin that is chemically nicotinic acid creating a dilating effect on your blood vessels.
Niacin – The Most Powerful Detox Agent?
L Ron Hubbard was a big advocate of Niacin (Vitamin B3) supplementation during sauna use to enhance the detoxification process. A starting dose of 100mg is ramped up to 1000 – 5000mg towards the end of the program,
In more recent times Dr David Roo and Dr George Yu have used niacin and saunas to help detox war veterans from Agent Orange toxicity and 9/11 fighters from toxic debris.
The way niacin works is by mobilizing fat cells to release toxins into the blood where they can be removed by the body. A dose of around 100mg may cause in most people an effect known as the ‘niacin flush’.
This happens because certain doses of niacin causes your blood vessels to dilate and creates a sensation of warmth. This is a sign the detoxification effect of niacin is at its peak and will be most effective. At higher doses however the flushing effects will actually fade away.
The Renegade Pharmacist’s Personal Experience With Niacin
I have to admit I have become a niacinaholic. I love the stuff. Not everyone can handle the flush, but I absolutely love it. The first time I took it, it was a sudden shock to my system and I freaked out a little bit, as do most people.
But after the intense heat faded, a glowing sensation radiated from my body. I had a clear mind, full of energy and felt warm and fuzzy for the next few hours. The next day I followed a sauna detox ritual that I now do religiously.
This is when I realized the true power of niacin. Everything got enhanced. My meditation, my level of clarity, and my level of clarity after the experience.
Niacin is my new best friend. I was compelled to read as much as I could about this miraculous vitamin, and the studies were eye opening.
What concerned me was the fact that there was not a single mention of this extraordinary vitamin during my 4 years training as a pharmacist.
Then when I qualified, I never heard of niacin’s benefits till very recently. After a couple of months of taking niacin regulary I went to get a hair cut.
My favorite hairdresser noticed that my hair had grown back a bit on the back of my head that had been thinning quite a lot over the last few years. I was gobsmacked. I then discovered many high end hair loss treatment centres also use niacin as part of their treatment plan.
I have since recommended niacin to various friends and family and all have reported benefits from taking it too and several have started to take it regularly like I do.
Niacin made me once again believe in the power of high doses of certain vitamins, and perhaps they are not just expensive urine, but something the body craves because our diet has become depleted over many years of mass farming and agriculture.